Catherine’s practice focuses on Canada-U.S. cross-border tax matters including ownership strategies for Canadian businesses investing in the U.S., Canadians investing in U.S. real property and alternative investment entities. She also has expertise in U.S. tax filing strategies for U.S. citizens residing in Canada and tax return preparation in Canada and the U.S. for individuals and businesses.
After being a financial accountant for a few years, Catherine found her calling in U.S.-Canada cross-border taxation.
Catherine has experience in the following:
- Cross-border ownership strategies
- Choice of entity
- Cross-border pre-arrival and exit planning
- U.S. citizens residency in Canada
Catherine previously worked on projects including:
- Establishing the timeline of taxable events to optimize U.S. federal and state tax consequences for business clients exiting the U.S. into Canada under the 2017 U.S. Tax Reform and current U.S. tax law
- Developing cross-border strategies for Canadian corporations to minimize overall tax implications
- Advising on cross-border reorganization strategies to match the timing of U.S. and Canadian taxes
- Developing gifting strategies for U.S. citizens to avoid U.S. expatriation tax
- Advising on compliance of U.S. multi-state and local income tax and sales tax for business clients
- Recommending options for U.S. citizens with delinquent U.S. international tax filings to minimize tax liability and penalty exposure